Everything you need to know
This year’s Essex Food and Farming Day is set to be a bit different due to the current situation. We are passionate about still providing a hands-on learning experience for the school children in Essex about all things related to farming, food and the environment. So we are bringing a taster of the event to your school for you to complete in your own time within the second half of the summer term!
What will be included in the package we receive?
A package will be delivered safely and within current guidelines to your school after the May half term holiday. Within this package will be the following: –
- A ‘Poppy-Go’ planter kindly supplied by Veg Trug
- Compost to fill the planter
- Seeds/plants to plant, grow and look after
- Raw crops to touch, see, smell and discuss their end uses. You will have the change to make your own flour with some wheat here too.
- A selection of end products to match with the crops, reinforcing the field-to-fork knowledge
- A selection of short videos on a typical farming year, the processes completed and machinery used. (There will be questions at the end so it’s worth watching!)
- The equipment required along with video explanations of how to build a Bug Hotel. There will be a competition for the best bug hotel a school can create, with a very worthy prize, so it will be worth it!
- Some activity sheets
- You might even get the chance to do some cooking….!
Please not that the above list is not exclusive or finalised, so some things may change.
Feedback is everything…
We are very keen to hear and see how you get on with some or all of the tasks that you have been able to complete. There will be a feedback survey at the end of the summer term, but we would also LOVE to see photos or videos of the children getting involved. You can either email them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or post them on our social media channels, either Twitter or Facebook. We really would love to see them as we will miss seeing them all enjoy the show day! More details on how you can share your experiences will be sent within the package.